Here are several useful search engines for students. These are especially handy while doing research. Be sure to use the Website Evaluation Form to determine if the website you find has useful, credible information.
- Sweet Search is a search engine designed specifically for students. Websites that come up have all been evaluated and approved by research experts (librarians, teachers, etc.) This is a search engine that will help you find credible sources quickly and easily.
- Instead of delivering millions of search results in one long list, Clusty groups similar results together in clusters. Clusters help you see your search results by topic so you can zero in on exactly what you're looking for.
- Using one site, you can search over 20 reputable sources at once. Many are searched using Google due to the search structure, but there is a good chance you won't be staring at automobile sites when you are looking for the planet Saturn.
- This search engine was designed for research. This engine filters through sites on the web and brings up only the most credible.
- From one place, you can search across many disciplines and sources: articles, theses, books, abstracts and court opinions, from academic publishers, professional societies, online repositories, universities and other web sites.
Research Tools and Homework Help
- Evaluating Web Resources Glog
Here is Miss Simonse's Glog with tips on evaluating web resources.
- Starting the Writing Process
Check out this website made by Purdue. It has tips on how to start a writing assignment.
- Copyright Friendly Images
Flickr Creative Commons. Use this link to find free images that you can use in your movies and presentations.
- Stock Photos
Use this website to find stock photos for free.
- Social Issues & Current Events
Look at current social issues from multiple perspectives.
- Metacritic- Reviews
This is a website for movie, TV, game, and music reviews.
Use this website to look up famous biographies.
- SparkNotes Study Guides
Use SparkNotes when you need extra explanation on a piece of literature you are reading. You can also use SparkNotes to prepare for exams in other subjects including: Biology, Chemistry, History, Math, Psychology, Film, and more!
- New York Philharmonic
New York Philharmonic website- Composer's Gallery
- Meet the Composer
Making Music Fun- Meet the Composer (biographies)
Use this website to research classical music artists.
- History of Rock & Roll
Here is a site that has short biographies on important people in the history of rock and roll.
- Evaluating Web Resources Glog
- Prezi Prezi is an online slide making tool that works like PowerPoint, but has way more
- functions. You do not need an email address to sign up; if you don't have one make it
- up... but make sure you write it down!
- GlogsterEDU Glogster is an online poster making tool. You can use a premade outline or you can create one of your own.
- SuperLame Comic Balloon Despite the name, SuperLame Comic creator is VERY cool. Just upload a photo, add a word bubble or two, and some graphics!
- Toolnet Comic Strip Creator Easily create your own comic strip using Toolnet and share it with your friends, teachers,
- and family.
Resources For Teachers
- Common Core/EngageNY
Read about the Common Core State Standards and how those standards apply to New York. Learn about the Common Core from a video series explaining the standards in depth. Learn about the shifts in standards and instruction that the Common Core will bring about, as well as ready-to-use curricular exemplars that will help your students achieve these standards in ELA/ Literacy and Math.
- Teaching Books
TeachingBooks.net an easy-to-use website that adds a multimedia dimension to the reading experiences of children's and young adult books. Our online database is developed and maintained to include thousands of resources about fiction and nonfiction books used in the K–12 environment, with every resource selected to encourage the integration of multimedia author and book materials into reading and library activities.
- Freeology - Free School Stuff
Store Blog;Teacher Humor;Fun and Games;Worksheet Creator;Links Directory ;Guestbook; Graphic Organizers; Journal Topics; Quote Posters; Teacher Forms; Back to School; Awards/Certificates; Printable Alphabet; Coloring Pages
- Teacher Tube
Videos uploaded by teachers for teachers.
The Social Design, Inc. network provides you with access to a variety of resources, including sharing poetry, stories, images, philosophy, etc (Services). These Services, including any updates, enhancements, new features, and/or the addition of any new websites, are subject to the TOU.
4Teachers.org works to help you integrate technology into your classroom by offering online tools and resources. This site helps teachers locate online resources such as ready-to-use Web lessons, quizzes, rubrics and classroom calendars. There are also tools for student use. Discover valuable professional development resources addressing issues such as equity, ELL, technology planning, and at-risk or special-needs students
- Guide for 21st Century Skills.
P21 is a national organization that advocates for 21st century readiness for every student. As the United States continues to compete in a global economy that demands innovation, P21 and its members provide tools and resources to help the U.S. education system keep up by fusing the three Rs and four Cs (critical thinking and problem solving, communication, collaboration, and creativity and innovation). While leading districts and schools are already doing this, P21 advocates for local, state and federal policies that support this approach for every school.
- WXXI Educational Outreach
Several links and resources for educators through WXXI.
- Common Core/EngageNY